Friday, June 26, 2009

Favorite Wearables

~Persimmon Wool Pencil Skirt~

I can hardly put my finger on the elusive qualities that come together in my favorite wardrobe items. They are a mix of cheap and pricey (well, pricey for me), designer labels and junk chains. Beneath the randomness lie some connecting themes. Most of them are the kind of clothes that I have always gravitated towards, simple, natural fibers, subtly glamorous (burnished metallics, ladylike silhouettes, and tailored separates) but only had the good sense to stick with in the last couple of years. My teen years and early twenties were plagued with ill fitting shirts, fishnets, brown lipstick (luckily ended by 8th grade), frumpy jeans, and uncomfortable shoes. The older I get, the more I realize that looking put together all the time in a simple way is far better than going all out from time to time. I rarely do all out glam (my hair is wash and wear, I refuse to wear any heels over 3" and rarely over 2", foundation is too high maintenance for my beauty routine). Instead I try to opt for a polished everyday look (at which I sometimes fail). Here are a few of my favorites:

I bought a version of these shoes at payless in high school. They were pleather with white piping and truly cheap looking. The shapes that I gravitate towards haven't changed much, luckily the quality has.

This is not the first time that I've raved about trench coats on this blog, and it won't be the last. I have had many versions over the years. My latest incarnation from Banana Republic certainly isn't the nicest or most expensive version in the world, but I've had it for years and it has never failed me.

Tailored blazer in medium weight gray wool. Great jacket purchased secondhand for $1.60 that has proved both versatile and warm.


This subtly striped cream and blue dress by Calvin Klein is far better looking on a person than a hanger. The fabric is light and flows with the movement of its wearer. In addition to numerous other charming details, the multiple panels that make up the pattern are unique and intricate


This bag was $5.00 at Old Navy. I got it many years ago and it has held up beautifully. It regularly receives compliments and thanks to its not-quite-silver not-quite-gold color cordinates with most outfits.

1 comment:

  1. I was wondering how do you wear the calvin klein striped blue and cream dress. Its beautiful. Have same dressl I have always wore it with buttons on back. someone told me the proper way is with buttons on front,

    ReplyDelete